I write high-quality content that’s crafted with flair. Clients include Ordnance Survey, Lonely Planet, tourist boards, universities and leisure and lifestyle brands. Formats include blogs, articles, web pages, newsletters and books. I write fluid, SEO friendly copy that naturally incorporates keywords, reflects client personas, makes value propositions visible and echoes and drives the user journey.
My copy evokes the senses, prompts action and helps create communities. The foundation of business, marketing and tourism copywriting, the bedrock of guidebook, adventure and travel writing, it delivers your objectives by finding the words and the stories to match your brief.
“Belinda has the unique skill of writing concisely whilst still selling our destination in an evocative way”Lynnette Crisp, Visit Kent
Finding factors that help customers connect with brands. Shaping the narratives. Crafting the text. Showing why the client’s product matches the customer’s needs. Delivering to brief. These are skills I’ve used on numerous projects (note: the text in green links to samples and articles).
- University of Aberdeen A Lonely Planet B2B commission to create a 17,000 word guide to Aberdeen
- Marketing Birmingham A Lonely Planet B2B guide to studying and working in Birmingham. A complex commission, it balanced the needs of Marketing Birmingham and five separate universities
- Lonely Planet Client Solutions Another LP B2B project, this time for Nissan. The aim was to drive awareness of their new Qashqai model
- TripAdvisor Client Solutions Crafting copy and curating POIs for a series of inspirational road trips across the USA. B2B brands included Visit California and Choice Hotels. Text for Visa Australia raised awareness through highlighting Global Festivals
- Visit Kent, Visit Ashford & Visit Thanet (2013-2015) Some 30,000 B2C words for website relaunches. Plus copy for magazines, newsletters and promotional postcards.
- Lonely Planet Includes numerous web articles, such as Sustainable Lundy
- Ordnance Survey Text for the Secret Stories app (eg the Winchester’s Battles, Abba & Stinky Sweets tour), plus numerous blogs. I also produce, present and mix their GetOutside podcast series.
I craft text that prompts action and evokes people and place. I unearth nuggets of information that help audiences connect with the outdoor spaces on their doorsteps. Then it’s about using powerful storytelling techniques to enthuse and inspire.
Key projects include the research, route finding, writing and map mark-ups for Ordnance Survey’s Urban Map series: Walk London (with Fi Darby) and Walk Edinburgh. It’s also involved hiking in the British Isles commissions for Horizon – producers of ethical, in depth guides that celebrate experiential travel.
I’m a keen advocate of the adventures and explorations people can have right here in the UK. It’s seen me focus on research and writing trips across England and Ireland, as well as Europe.
I’ve been a guidebook writer for Lonely Planet since 2006, researching Devon, Cornwall, Bath, Bristol, southern England and East Anglia, as well as Ireland, Iceland and the Italian Lakes.
“Her research skills are second to none”Clifton Wilkinson, Lonely Planet
Rough Guides (2002-2006) Updating country chapters of the Rough Guide to Europe (Norway, Austria, southern Spain, France)
Cornwall Today (2008-11) More than 40, monthly, 2000-word, heritage-themed magazine articles
“Belinda maintained the essence and spirit of our destination while delivering on time, to budget and spot on to our brief”Sarah Barber, Ashford Borough Council